Sunday, February 10, 2019

The Harder the Job, The Lower the Pay.

The hardest job I ever had was washing dishes for minimum wage. It was the one job among the twenty or so I've had in my life that I literally could not do physically or mentally and had to quit. The dirty plates and glasses would avalanche in at such a pace at the popular vegetarian restaurant, that I couldn't load the machine quickly enough and everything started to pile up haphazardly, like assembly line widgets in a Buster Keaton film. Arriving in an atmosphere of easy grace, would be the real dishwasher – a portly guy with a wry smile, sporting a tie and a clear plastic apron. Through a series of gestures I still do not understand, he would approach the conveyor belt-style dishwasher, the teetering mound of dishes and proceed to resolve the back–up within in a matter of minutes – expending about the same amount of effort it might take for him to brew a pot of tea or water the plants.

No comments: