Saturday, April 26, 2014

Song of the Beasts

If I were a lobster
On the Nantucket shore
With my shell growing thinner
On the cold ocean floor
And if I were a monarch
On my route flying south
With the milkweed beloved
A dead seed in my mouth
And if I were a coyote
Down on Michigan Ave
And the skyline arising
Was all that I had
Chorus: I’d say… (vocalizing, calling)....
And if I were a blue whale
Of the rolling dark see
And the sonar explosions
Blowing up in my ears
And if I were flying fox
On the outback so free
With the temperature rising
So my heart stopped its beat
And if I were a scallop
Sitting lonely in brine
On the pacific coastline
In the acidic tide
Chorus
And if I were a panda bear
In the forest so green
With the bamboo receding
Before my little cubs and me
And if I were a bumble bee
On the meadow so wide
With the neoinsecticoids
Getting into my eyes
And if I were an axolotl
Ina Mexican canal
Disappearing with the sunset
In a wondering spell
Chorus
And if I were an elephant
On the African plain
With a poacher approaching
Trying to desecrate my name
And if I were a mighty pine
On the Oregon hills
With the chainsaw blades rumbling
Breaking up the calm still
And if I were a hummingbird
With my beak in a rose
With the nectar turned poisonous
And my wings starting to close
Chorus
And if I were a dodo bird
Landing onto a stream
With the water a-sparkling
On the bright budding leaves
And if I were a dodo bird
In the dark windy night
Between living and dying
And waiting to take flight
And if I were a dodo bird
Flying inside the dream
Of a broken-down sailor
Trying to set me free












No comments: