Friday, January 12, 2024

Bad Girlfriend/Boyfriend


She was a bad girlfriend For me at least
(And I'm pretty sure
I was a bad boyfriend for her)
We didn't even like each other
That much but decided
To push through that
For some reason
And some type of dependence
Formed between us
Probably geographic in origin
Our apartments were on the same
Logan Square courtyard
I would be at the L stop
Talking to Mick the panpipes player
About a pulp novel he was reading
And she would walk by
It was hard to avoid each other
Then something engaged
Or we passed through some kind
Of a scrim or mist
And on the other side
Was conflict and arguments
And these became the thing
That drew us together
Also the idea that
We should be a good couple
Because she was a painter
And I was a poet
And I liked her canvases
Of thundering elephants
This all became spires of misery
Collapsing into pools of grey ash
Who I was Dan
Was receding from me
Some detached consciousness
Could even observe him
Walking away from me
Wobbling down a tunnel
"There he goes" I thought
"This isn't good" I thought,
After breaking up a few times
We finally got it right
Six months lost
To the Chicago fall/winter
Except that I retain
Certain things she told me
We were walking down Spaulding
Unhappy together per usual
And I said I wished
I was somebody else
She said that if there
Is anything
That is a sin
That would be it
Wishing to be
Somebody else

No comments: