Thursday, February 15, 2024

A Band Whose Name I Don't Know




A performance art troop
From Australia
Was installed in the display windows
Facing State Street
For the opening
Of the downtown Sears
They were to live
In the environment
For one week
Their days & nights visible
To the public
And you could go there
And watch them
Like a live movie
Of people living their lives
In comfortable clothes
The space had plastic tunnels
Was dual level
Had a space to eat
And prepare food
And swinging hammocks
Four agile & wiry men
Like the Blue Man group
But they were not blue
Speakers were hung
Outside the building
To broadcast music they played
On their boombox inside
When I got there
In the late afternoon
They were dancing
The singing & the guitars
I heard were perfect
The inhabitants showed a joy
That is particular
To Australia it seems
The energy of a continent
In the Pacific sun
Animating their limbs
They couldn't hear you
So I wrote on a scrap of paper
And held it up to the glass
"What's the name of the band?"
A gangly guy wrote back on his tablet
A name I can't remember
And maybe my life
Would be different
If I could



No comments: