Wednesday, March 20, 2024

I Didn't Know Patti Smith

 


I didn't move to London
I didn't live in the East Village
I didn't know Patti Smith
Things didn't work out
I lived bohemian decline
The freedom was partial
Mine was a typical story
Survival was victory
Day jobs without glamour
I acquired cooking skills
I learned languages
I outlived friends in more rapid
Bohemian decline
I didn't realize my dreams
Or they laid down by the river
And emerged on the other side
Transformed
Into water beasts walking
Weed-draped moon–driven
The least American story
And the most American story
Verses written furtively
Spiral notebooks of neurosis
Medical mishaps
Love affairs like spiritual possession
Writing songs about UFOs
Theatrical productions in sheds
My footprints in Baltimore graveyards
The indentations deeper
As I hummed a song
And carried a ghost on my shoulders
Sensing this vaguely
My weight and the ghost's
Imprinting into the fossil record
Encountered as enigma
In 20 million years
After the Chesapeake rose
And receded again and birthed
Species now unknown
Will they know
I struggled
I spoke
I sang
I made
things

(photo: author in the play "De camino a la ahorita" by Colectivo El Pozo 2018)

No comments: