Monday, April 3, 2017

The Infinity of Funhouse Mirrors & the Preservation of The Sacred

I find myself having to avoid news about Drumpf for two reasons related to self-preservation...
1. As with all toxic narcissists and sociopaths, engagement with Drumpf projects one into the role of a bit player in a demented drama. People like Drumpf are, by definition, not inter-relational beings. To Drumpf and his ilk, other humans exist for one reason and one reason only: to be conned, exploited and manipulated -- to be gamed. When I follow the minutia of Drumpflandia, I begin to feel like a mark. Having said this, I recognize that as a citizen of this country (and of this planet), I am subject to the consequences of DumpfBannon's actions, and I will remain active in resisting the the ecocidal agenda and the rising fascist tide. However, I plan to avoid becoming a prisoner of the infinity of funhouse mirrors that constitute Drumpf's mind and his projected reality.
2. For those of us who have long been repulsed by and have rejected the American doctrine of the pursuit of one's own personal greed as the path to happiness and social harmony, what Drumpf is doing is particularly depressing. It is so not because it is something new, but rather, because it is the more naked, extreme and vulgar version of what has defined our political culture since its inception: sacrifice all – wilderness, human health and spirit, ancient cultures, everything – to allow for corporate plunder (euphemistically referred to as "economic growth"). With a double-talking Democrat as president, I was able to occasionally forget that this is the vapid and destructive agenda of the political culture I was born into. Drumpf allows for no such illusions. Thus, I avert my gaze in order to preserve what of the sacred remains in my soul. I must maintain my strength and my clarity of thought because the changes we must make run deeper than we can imagine.

No comments: