Friday, November 20, 2020

Samuel in the Desert (10-minute play)

 

Setting: A desolate patch of the Nevada desert, a short ways from a highway. However, the play can be performed in any open space – empty parking lot, alleyway, vacant theater stage, etc.
Characters:
Mr./Ms. A, aka Nathaniel: Middle aged man or woman. Can be portrayed by actor/actress of any gender and any adult age.

Mr./Ms. B, aka Samuel: Middle aged man or woman. Can be portrayed by actor/actress of any gender and any adult age. Actor ideally feels comfortable pronouncing a couple of lines in Brazilian Portuguese.

Mr./Ms. C, aka Felix: Middle aged man or woman. Can be portrayed by actor/actress of any gender and any adult age.

***

A: What are you doing here?

B: What am I doing where?

C: Doing here. In this land.

B: In this land. In this land.

A: That’s right. That’s what I’m asking you.

B: In this expanse of restaurants, gas stations, muffler shops and 7/11’s. Women’s prisons. (Pause). I’m passing through.

A: No, you’re not. You’re not “passing through.”

C: You’ll be staying here tonight, Samuel. (Pause).

A: Do you understand, Samuel? You’ll be staying here tonight. For at least tonight, I mean.

C: Perhaps longer.

A: Perhaps longer, Samuel.

B: (Pause). Perhaps longer. In this expanse of dropped coin sundowns and silver moon miles shooting west upon the asphalt. (Pause).

A: Uh-huh.

C: Uh-huh.

A: Uh-huh. Well, you need to get into the van now, Samuel.

B: (Imitating Mr. A) “Well, you need to get into the van now, Samuel.”

C: Yeah. That’s right. You need to get into the van now, Samuel.

B: “You need to get into the van now, Samuel.” Sounds like the title to a gospel song written by Marilyn Manson. (Pause)

C: Fuck you, Samuel.

A: Yeah. Fuck you, Samuel! Now get into the fucking van.

Mr. A lunges quickly at Samuel and Samuel dodges him. Mr. A misses and stumbles in the dust.

C: Samuel, when did you get here? To this town. When did you arrive?

B: Faz dois dias.

A: Faice what, you bitch? You dog. Speak English, Samuel.

B: Eu cheguei aqui faz dois dias. I got here two days ago. (Pause)

A: And you’re just passing through.

B: That’s right. I’m just passing through. And after this, I’ll just mosey on into another calendar sundown. I’ll project myself into the past - into the wagon wheel past. On through the Oregon Pass.

A: The Oregon Trail. Do you mean the Oregon Trail, Samuel? Have you ever heard of the Oregon Trail, Samuel? You freak.

C: You ne’er-do-well.

A: Have you ever walked the Oregon Trail into a sundown town, Samuel?

C: Do you think you’re a hobo, Samuel?

A: Or a drifter?

C: Are you some kind of a drifter wandering through the western states like a wagon wheel come off of its axel? (Pause).

B: I am a bobcat that’s left its den and now I’m in the Western plains, searching. I’ve lived centuries of sundowns looking for a way into the gray, distant dawn and now I’ve think I found it. (Short pause). I think you’ve given me my way. (Addressing Mr. A) How do you feel right now?

Mr. A mumbles pained noise.

B: That’s right. When you rushed me, I dropped a scorpion into your T-shirt.

A: What?

B: You’re dying, Nathaniel… (To Mr. C) Felix.

C: What?

B: Felix.

C: I said “what?” You hoo-doo son of a bitch.

B: The desert rises dark gold at night, Felix. It grows cold. And I’m going to walk west, backwards into the past, before any of this occurred.

C: So what?

B: So, I’m leaving you here today in the desert. You will not see me again.

C: Don’t say that. What if I said I love you?

B: You do not love me. You’ve forgotten how to love anything but pets. And I am not a pet. Goodbye Felix. I have the keys to the van and now I am leaving.

Samuel walks west disappearing stage right.

C: Come back, you hoo-doo motherfucker! Samuel! Samuel!

***

"Samuel in the Desert" is free for anybody to perform anytime, anywhere. It may be particularly easy to adapt to a Zoom performance. It is only required to let the author know about the performance.

No comments: