Friday, December 17, 2021

My Mental Afflictions


The first one I remember was thinking too much About the same thing
Like an Etch-a-Sketch drawing
Made by ghost hands
Again and again
The same picture
I could not arrest the hands
It became constant
I couldn't work, make coffee, eat, think
The doctor said try these pills
And they worked! The ghost hands
Withdrew, gave me some peace
12 years on, my back went out
I didn't know what to do
I couldn't sit or sleep, couldn't bike
I tried an herbal tincture
A spark flashed and blossomed in my brain
A bad mix with the pills from the doctor
All became an evil Tim Burton film
No whimsy, no fun, only darkness
Body wired, mind unfamiliar
This time, too much serotonin, ironic
Came out of it still shaky
Took an allergy med
Supposed to relax me, it happened again
The evil Tim Burton film, nighttime roller coasters
Careening into fire on a video tape loop
Now I was in the soup
My doctor went back into research
The new guy wouldn't answer calls
12 years on Lexapro
I stopped taking it
Don't ever do this
But what did I know?
Everything was in collapse
It was entropy in my skull
The Etch-a-Sketch ghost hands were back
And would not stop
I couldn't smile or laugh
Feel a happy thought
I became weakness, a broken thing
Maybe this was it, I thought
All those times, teaching kids guitar
Riding bikes over a bridge in Hilton Head
Writing a banjo score
(And I didn't even play banjo)
Sitting in the backyard together
Admiring the bamboo
So green and powerful in Baltimore
Was that all gone?
Weeks in bed listening
To BBC history shows
Everything else too much
Went to a psych ward
Before my 50th birthday
They tried different things
Nothing worked for weeks
Then there was movement
In the fossilized circuitry
I asked the doctor about
A book she was reading
She said that was new
Me asking questions
I watched the NBA playoffs on the hallway TV
With a new friend
(What was his name? A kind person)
Something dead in me was dislodging
Breaking apart, I went home
From Johns Hopkins
(Covered by Medicaid, good timing)
Found I wasn't dissolved by panic on the bus ride
I met up with Mike
We listened to ZZ Top in the 7-Eleven parking lot
We went to a park and played frisbee
I've been getting better ever since
But still have a ways to go

- DH, 12/21



(photo taken in Lincoln Park, Chicago, while emerging out of the illness, 2018)

No comments: