Friday, January 5, 2024

Joe Walsh


Not the guy from the Eagles whose
Life's been good to him so far
Joe Walsh from Boston
Who played in the majors
Got eight at-bats
Got injured
Went to work for the city
Started to drink
Lost the job
Stumbled through the years
In a black suit coat
In an Atlantic Ocean haze
Who met my grandma
At the laundromat the store the bus stop
While he still had that Boston charm
But was a brokedown cigar smoke mess
When I met him in Brookline in '78
You could look him up
In the Baseball Encyclopedia, he said
I did and it was true
I walked down the street
To a tropical fish store
It was dark inside
And cold from the AC
The only light
The blue glowing
Above the tanks
Of the silent swimming
Coral pink
Electric violet
Deep black fish
With fierce fan tales
Likes the assassin's silk scarves
That float and dazzle
Before the dagger is drawn
The two-chord piano vamp
From "Cold as Ice"
Came over the speakers
And the notes felt in my body
Like dayglo fish
Fluttering beside
A ceramic sea chest
Joe Walsh played third base
At Fenway Park
The Green Monster looming
Behind him
The giant Citgo sign
Hovering above
That could not be
I thought
Not knowing then
I would injure my arms
That played guitar
When I was just 23
The other Joe Walsh
Flamed through the years
Driving 185
And taking drugs
That illuminated
The capillaries of his mind
Like fluorescent blue lamps over
Bubbling tanks of circling fish
Pearl colored and gliding
The size of guitar pics

No comments: